This is a Photoshop action (that is to say a set of automated commands) to extract the lines of your black and white drawings. The idea of having the lines in onw layer and adding the colors in other layers below, this works like some kind of guide.
There are two procedures to color comics; the first one is putting the layer where you have the lines in multiply mode and on top of all color layers (this way the white color transforms in transparent, letting the colors be seen, but you can still see black). And the second one has an advantage… by extracting literally the lines off the drawing, you can color them (the lines) very easily.
Instructions to install the action:
- Download the action to your hard drive and decompress it.
- Save the file in: C:\Program files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS3\Presets\Actions
- Open your black and white drawing in Photoshop.
- In the actions panel an action called “extract lines” will appear, click on it to load it.
- A folder will appear, click to expand it and click “extract lines”.
- Press play and you are done (if a message appears click OK).
If the action doesn’t appear on the list, click “load action” and search for it until you find it, the rest will be the same.
Here you can see an example: Photoshop digital inking